Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Feeding issues again..... and some other parenting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding issues again..... and some other parenting questions

Dd has stopped eating solids entirely, and is starting to refuse fluids. The fact that I could still get to her take fluids from a bottle was the thing I was holding onto to get her to eat. The pediatrician said we should continue feeding her from a baby bottle, and not try force her to eat anything else if that was the only way we were guaranteed getting any food in her.

Up until yesterday, she was subsisting entirely on a diet of pediasure. 3 bottles, 3 times a day.

Today, as of now 2:15pm, she has only had 6 oz of pediasure. If I try to give her anything else, she rejects it. And by rejecting food, I mean she will gag until she throws up.

The occupational therapist says this could have something to do with her reflux, and she just doesn't like to eat. Period. And when she does throw up, she dislikes the act of doing so, that she has realized that it's food going in that causes it to happen.

The only thing I can think of is that dd is running a slight fever and simply isn't feeling well. She had a flu shot as well a chicken pox immunization last Tuesday. Could lack of appetite be related to those immunizations?

Ug. Just worried that she will stop drinking entirely, and we'll have to take her in.

Any thoughts?
    married to an anesthesia attending

I am so sorry. I would really check out those books regarding feeding issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

alison, have they scoped her? Are they sure she doesn't have a physical reason that she doesn't want to eat? I really have no ideas that you haven't already tried though. Big hugs!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

oh Alison, I am so sorry she continues to struggle with food. I doubt it is the immunizations. That usually happens within the first 48 hours unless it is an MMR. Maybe she has a sore throat? Does she need a higher dose of her reflux meds? I would take her in to the pediatrician just to see if anything is going on. Even an ear infection. Please keep us posted.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'm seeing that with my good eater this week and she also has a fever and does the gag-throw-up routine if we try to give her anything other than breast milk or oatmeal (I know that you don't have that option). Is there any diarrhea? It *could* be a stomach bug of some sort, but with her history, I'd go in for a double check at the ped too. (So sorry! I'm hoping it is a short-term reason and she'll return to normal in a flash).
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Yes, Heidi. I've checked out a couple of the titles you sent me.
            The problem is that it isn't pickiness or texture or anything like that. It seems to be that she knows that food has caused her pain in the past. And while it might not anymore, it's nothing she likes to do AT ALL.

They haven't scoped her, no, because she can and does swallow. It was a procedure that came up while we were still in CA, but then she started to do better. I took her to a pediatric dentist last week to see if it was her mouth or teeth or jaw, but it looks like it's all IN HER F-ING HEAD!!! ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

Joking aside: I'm so frustrated, even after a helpful session last week with an occupational therapist (who, btw, got a handful of smushed bananas thrown in her face!).

I'm this close to shoving food down her throat, but I know that it will just reverse the whole "de-stress mealtimes and close your eyes and cheer her on when she throws food." We were told to try to build a non-threatening relationship with food by allowing her to play/throw/smush it and build things.

Comment

And.... She won't even open her mouth for her medication.

I have to open her mouth and open and close her jaw to get the solutab down.

Comment

Sounds like she has a sore throat. Maybe try some motrin and then some food. I know it will be hard to get the motrin in.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'm so sorry Alison. This must be hugely frustrating. Are you still watching the iPad during meals?
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Poor baby. I don't really have advice but I know my nephew was given Periactin (sp?) to increase his appetite. He had a lot of feeding issues (was hospitalized, had a feeding tube, tons of tests). They found minimal reflux so he was taking Prevacid but really couldn't find a significant cause for his lack of eating. Finally at 4, he eats better but he just doesn't have a huge appetite. I know how frustrating it is based on what my sister went through and having a picky eater myself.

Comment

I'm really sorry! Hug! Have you tried ignoring her at mealtimes while eating? Sometimes O eats better if I'm not watching. Maybe stop offering food except water for a day & see if she asks for anything? Maybe leave a cracker out on a table but bring no attention to it.

O definitely eats less when he has a sore throat or doesn't feel well. I wish I had more to offer. If it truly is stubbornness maybe the above will help. Good luck.
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I am really, really sorry. I can't imagine how difficult this is. Hugs. I really thought one of the books might help because the comments talked about medical feeding issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We're de-stressing meals, and part of that is putting 3 different foods on her tray and setting a timer for 15 minutes. We just let her do what she wants with that food (AND PEGGY! No ipad!!!! YAY!!!!!!), and if she cries, then she knows she only has to sit there until the timer goes off. Most of the time, she throws the food at us or onto the floor.

We top her off with a bottle of Pediasure and she gets what she needs that way. So, at least we don't have to worry about whether she eats the solids we give her or not.

It has been so much easier on us to do it this way. But the only problem now that our default, Pediasure, isn't a sure thing...

Comment

If she does have a sore throat or fever give her Tylenol instead of Motrin, becuse motrin isn't ideal on an empty stomach.

Comment

Oh Alison, I wish there was an easy answer for this. I don't know what to say. I can't even imagine how stressful this is for you.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X