Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Super Easy Indian Chicken

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a crock pot and some naan! Will be trying this recipe today (if I can get my energy recharged in time to hit the store for ingredients and still let it simmer nice and long) or tomorrow -- extras will be frozen for when the baby's here! I can't wait!
    Alison

Comment

I have been known to cook things on low for 8 - 10 hours overnight.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

There is a very good crock pot cook book "Fix it and Forget it". I checked it out of the library. They also have a "light" version of the cook book. I sat in Barnes & Noble and read it for ideas.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Guess what I'm making today?
          With *ahem* not as much ginger!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Oh, yum. I need to make this again. The weather this morning is perfect crockpot type weather.

Comment

I can't count how many Indian disasters have happened in my kitchen! If I can swallow a possible another painful failure. But you promised it was easy, right

Comment

Not just me .... 1/2 the board promised it was easy!

Comment

Scouts honor; it is easy.

Comment

Julie - you HAVE to make this chicken! It is AMAZING and super, super easy!!

I just made this again the other night and DS and I ate the leftovers for lunch today. Yummmm!

Comment

This is one of the 800 million reasons why I can't wait to move. I know EXACTLY which box has the crock pot in it and hoo boy, Day One, it's going to be cooking while I'm unpacking.

jenn

Comment

Ok I'm gonna do it this weekend. But I have to say if it doesn't work well I'm gonna cry LOL! Background here, DH LOVES LOVES LOVES Indian food. After about 5 bombs at home with more "American Indian" type recipes he asked if I would go to an Indian/Pakistani market with him to pickout food (we just love ethnic foods!) Well we get there, and the stinker doesn't want to get out of the car cause he thinks he'll be embarressed poking around inside, so I say great you want me to look stupid. So I get out of the car, (both kiddos in the car w/DH) and just grab a ton of stuff, weird gourds (?sp), purple potatoes (why are they purple btw?), nan bread and a ton of premade food. Well I was the ONLY white gal there (think 5'1" and blond w/blue eyes). I ask a father w/kids in tow what was good, he just stared at me and said he doesn't do the cooking , ok, then I ask the lady there who owned it and asked what was good, she asked what I like, I say curry (then was totally embarressed that duh most Indian food has curry in it). I come home w/everything and we have no clue what to do w/it! He Keeps working w/residents and attendings who say it's easy . So the recent try was a Balti spice pack from Pensey's Spices who have top notch spices, it was a dud, DH wouldn't even eat it, and pulled out one of the premade meals we got at the Indian store :argue: . I told him it was the very LAST time I was making Indian food. Ok so I lied, this is gonna be my last go 8)

Comment

Originally posted by JulieL
                          (then was totally embarressed that duh most Indian food has curry in it).
                          dont' be embarrassed. actually most Indian food doesn't have curry powder in it. As my MIL says "We don't use that." A curry is usually like a sauce or a side 'soup-type' thing - very commonly made with yogurt.

Your best bet is to go to an Indian restaurant, eat, and write down the names of the things you liked. Then go search online for recipes, or post questions here. Many things are very tricky and are usually best just bought at restaurants.

Even I have a hard time at the Indian grocer, and my MIL has taught me a lot. Going in there blind (w/o a plan) is never a good idea -- even for me.

The crockpot chicken shouldn't be a problem for you. Look at how many people have made it!

Comment

To funny here I thought curry and cayenne, and potatoes were Indian staples

Comment

potatoes and red pepper (cayenne) ARE Indian staples. Curry powder is not. Currys as part of meals are.

Comment

Jenn- this topic is near and dear to my heart. I was on bedrest for my entire pregnancy (bathroom and eating privileges only) but the last 2 months (of 7 total) I wasn't allowed to get up AT ALL except to go to the bathroom. I called everyone we knew for help; DH's family, friends, neighbors... but the one person who kept us alive was our neighbor across the street. She was married to an Indian man and Indian cuisine was her speciality. EVERY NIGHT she brought us a new dish, and it was the most incredible food I've ever, EVER eaten. Even on Christmas day, after I had told her we had family bringing turkey over, she sent her son over with a dish.

Proof that there are angels among us and the best of those angels cook Indian food.

Jodi

Comment

Working...
                                X