Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Super Easy Indian Chicken

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made this (yet again) yesterday without the crockpot. I used skinless thighs, extra tomatoes and some water and cooked for 1 1/2 hours. Still delicious.

Jenn, I love Vindaloo but takes me a long time any crockpot ideas?
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

• I've never made vindaloo (from a different region). If you show me the recipe you use, I might have some ideas.

I love that you guys use this recipe so much!

Comment

• Here is the recipe I use. It is absolutely wonderful, I've been using it for 15 years. The cookbook is held together with a rubberband.

Vindaloo (form Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking)

May use beef, pork, or lamb (I usually use pork)

2 t whole cumin seeds
        3 dried red chiles (I use more)
        1 t black peppercorns
        1 t cardamom seeds
        a 3 inch cinnamon stick
        1 1/2 t black mustard seeds
        1 t fenungreek seeds
        5 T white wine vinegar
        1 1/2 t salt
        1 t light brown sugar
        10 T vegetable oil
        2 medium onions peeled and sliced into fine half rings
        1 1/3 C. water
        2 lb boneless pork shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
        1 inch cube fresh ginger (I use more)
        A small WHOLE HEAD of garlic with all cloves peeled
        1 T ground coriander seeds
        1/2 t ground turmeric

Grind cumin seeds, red chiles, peppercorns, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, mustard seeds and fenungreek seeds in coffee grinder. Put in a bowland add the vinegar, salt and sugar and set aside.

Combine ground coriander and turmeric in small bowl and set aside.

Put ginger and garlic in food processor, add 3 T water and blend until you have a smooth paste. Set aside.

Heat oil in a wide heavy pot. Put in onions and fry stirring often until browned and crisp. Remove onions with a slotted spoon and put in food processor or blender. Add 3 T water and puree. Add to the ground spices in the bowl. This is the vindaloo paste. Can be made ahead and frozen.

Heat remaining oil. Cook pork cubes in batches until lightly browned. Put in a bowl and set aside.

Put garlic-ginger paste in same pot and stir for a few seconds. Add coriander and turmeric and stir another few seconds. Add meat, any juices that have accumulated, vindaloo paste and one cup water. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer for an hour.

I serve with Rice and the following yogurt

Yogurt with walnuts and coriander

2 2/3 C. plain yogurt
        2 T chopped fresh cilantro
        1/2 fresh hot green chile finely chopped
        Fresh ground black pepper
        1 scallion finely chopped
        1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Place yogurt in bowl and beat lightly with a fork til smooth and creamy. Add all other ingredients and stir to mix.
        Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

• I checked the cookbook, published in 1983!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have probably had it for 20 years. She has alot of cookbooks, but I still see this one in the bookstores and it is a wonderful little book.
          Luanne

Comment

• I'm on a roll here. I usually also serve these cucumbers with the Vindaloo. The cool yogurt and cucumbers go well with the heat of the vindaloo.

2 medium cucumbers
            1/3 t salt
            1/8 to 1/4 t cayenne
            freshly ground black pepper
            1/3 t ground roasted cumin seeds
            juice of one lemon

Peel cucumbers and cut in half crosswise. Cut heach half into 4 sections lengthwise. Arranges wedges on a plate. Sprinkle with spices and the sprinkle lemon juice on them. Serve cold with a fiery hot meal. Refrigerate if not using right away.
            Luanne

Comment

• Jenn, I made this again for my nextdoor neighbor. I tweaked it a little bit. I added coconut milk, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, garam masala and cooked it on top of the stove.
              Luanne

Comment

• :P way to go Luanne!

You guys all realize that I've never made this again -- since the time I made it up and posted it. Right?

Comment

• Yes, you have mentioned that, but you are still the Goddess because you came up with it in the first place!!!!!!
                  Luanne

Comment

• WOW - 8 pages!!!!
                    Luanne

Comment

• I'm gunning for the TomKat thread ...

Comment

• Re: Super Easy Indian Chicken

Nothing to say, just miss seeing this thread.

Seriously, I'm planning to cook a version of this sometime this week!!!!!
                        Luanne

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                          Nothing to say, just miss seeing this thread.

Seriously, I'm planning to cook a version of this sometime this week!!!!!
                          This is on our menu this week too!
                          Too bad I missed you while you were here - I could have had the inventor in my kitchen making it!
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Okay, I am hungry and this sounds delish. I'm going to the store to pick up the ingredients I need and I'm making it tonight.

Obviously, I won't be using the crock pot, but do you think that I could just use the stove for an hour? I know Luanne cooked it for an hour and a half...but I'm hungry.

Comment

the longer it stews the more flavorful it will be. it will probably taste better tomorrow, so make enough for left-overs.

Comment

Just had to comment on this one again. I have made this since the start of the thread... at least 2x per month. It also freezes well.
                                Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                                Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

Working...
                                X