Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark places was pretty good. Didn't love it, but I'm very hard to please with books in general.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
      Dark places was pretty good. Didn't love it, but I'm very hard to please with books in general.
      I've read both "Gone Girl" and "Sharp Objects" and this is by far my least favorite of the three.
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Hated the ending of Gone Girl. It pissed me right off.

Comment

Haha, that seemed to be a popular opinion. They deserved each other!
          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

My sister has been trying to get me to join her on her dystopian novel kick. I enjoyed the Hunger Games, but I think I need a break before I start any more. Recently I've started reading the classic Sherlock Holmes mysteries. The whole set was .99 on my Kindle! I'm hoping to finish all of them before the third season of Sherlock starts in January.
            Wife of a PGY-1 podiatric surgery resident, mom to two cat babies with a human one on the way!

Comment

Hahaha with a tagline "supreme pessimist in the bitter fight with medicine" I'm pretty sure I'm going to love everything you have to say.

I'm in the middle of Houellebecq's The Map and the Territory. I'm only midway but will probably go down as one of my favorite reads. It's a great story, excellent writing, dark humor, satire... apparently all of his other books are grossly sexual but I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay away from them after I finish with Map.

Comment

Irish Country Doctor

I recently found the Irish Country Doctor series by Patrick Taylor. It reminded me of James Herriot except instead of a vet, he's a doc and instead of England, it is Ireland. Enjoyable set of characters.

Comment

I keep trying to finish Crime & Punishment. I'm on page 304 of 656. I've been trying to read it for over a year. Maybe two. I have The Importance of Being Earnest in my purse. And I started Sense & Sensibility on my iPad.

And don't get me started on the Catholic and homeschooling books I have left all over the house and in my van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                    I keep trying to finish Crime & Punishment. I'm on page 304 of 656. I've been trying to read it for over a year. Maybe two. I have The Importance of Being Earnest in my purse. And I started Sense & Sensibility on my iPad.

And don't get me started on the Catholic and homeschooling books I have left all over the house and in my van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh. Why? Sounds like torture.

Comment

• Crime and Punishment is one of my all time favorites - although I like The Brothers K better. Russian Lit is actually pretty good, don't be dissing it.

Importance of being earnest is ALSO fantastic (and short)....

I tend to watch my Jane Austen though on BBC shows....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                        Crime and Punishment is one of my all time favorites - although I like The Brothers K better. Russian Lit is actually pretty good, don't be dissing it.

Importance of being earnest is ALSO fantastic (and short)....

I tend to watch my Jane Austen though on BBC shows....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                        I love Earnest partly because we did it for UIL one act play and I won All-Star Cast for my portrayal of Cecily. I've read Crime and Punishment, but I didn't really enjoy it. I adore Jane Eyre, but my boys couldn't stand it. I love to watch Shakespeare more than I like reading it.

Comment

• I've also made multiple unsuccessful attempts at Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov. The two others are of course quite different but I soared through Tolstoy's major works (or, as much as one can soar through them).

As far as the Catholic and Homeschooling books...I am a product of homeschooling so I doubt I'll ever read a book on it

Comment

• My dad is a huge fan of Russian literature. I've tried Anna Karenina a couple of times, but never quite made it through. I was going to try to read it before the movie came out, but... that didn't go so well.

I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, though. Have any of you seen the YouTube adaptations of Pride and Prejudice and Emma that have popped up recently? They're fantastic. Google "Lizzie Bennet Diaries" and "Emma Approved" to find them. Another group is filming a YouTube adaptation of Jane Eyre. I don't like the videos as much, but I love love LOVED the book, so I've been watching them anyway.
                            Wife of a PGY-1 podiatric surgery resident, mom to two cat babies with a human one on the way!

Comment

• Aaaand, yep I'm going to post twice in a row.

I'm halfway through an ebook called "The Devil Wears Scrubs" by Freida McFadden. I saw it mentioned on a blog somewhere and it was .99, so I downloaded it. The author is a resident, I think, and the book is a fictionalized version of her intern year. It's both hilarious and terrifying, considering my dh is a 4th year student and will be heading into that next year, but I'm loving any glimpse I can get into his world.

Comment

• What are you reading?

Russian lit AND 19th century Brit lit? Y'all are right up my alley. I flove Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Solzhenitsyn, Pushkin, and Pasternak. When I was taking Russian in high school, I found a book that had a bunch of short stories with one page in English and the opposing page in Russian. It was really fascinating to see how another language's usage morphs over time, especially since I was still learning it.

I also REALLY love Russian composers. I sometimes think I was born in the wrong era on the wrong continent.

Comment

Working...
                                X