Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Political Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
      Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
      I got 20 = Colin Powell, not surprised.
      Me too.
      Cristina
      IM PGY-2

Comment

On the second test, I was at -5, -5.64, which seems to be right near where the Dalai Lama's dot is. I can live with that.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

# 9 between Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinto
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Economic Left/Right -5.75
            Social Liberterian/Authorian - 4.62

Anyone surprised????
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Economic Left/Right: 3.13

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21

I'm pretty much what I expected: Economic conservative and socially right smack in the middle (literally on the line).

Edit: On the first test I was at about a 32 - but I actually refused to answer several of the questions because I didn't agree with any of the options given!
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

21 here. Just to the right of Colin Powell.

Comment

I got a 16 but thought some of the questions were worded strangely. I could have justified either answer.

And they can't spell campaign correctly!

Economic Left/Right: -1.50
                  Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.15

Comment

Hanging with Gandhi.....

Economic Left/Right: -4.25
                    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54
                    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
                      I suppose since I posted the second one I should comment. I sit right next to Genivieve, but more social authoritarian by like a point.

And on the main quiz, no one's posted a lower number than mine yet. I'm sort of waiting to see if anyone does.

For example, the one about gay marriage was "15. Gays and lesbians should be able to marry or at least be treated as married under law if they so desire. Agree or Disagree?" Well, wait a second. What if you're a state's rights proponent and think that this is an issue to be decided by each state? You'd have to answer "disagree," because--based on all the other questions--it sounds like the questionaire is referring to FEDERAL laws--even if you don't have a problem with gay marriage. You just have a problem defining it under federal law. That isn't how I would read this. It asks you what the law should be. So it's asking your opinion, say, if you were writing a law, what you would want it to say. I don't think you can assume local or federal, so I would take it as, what law on this matter would I want to live under? In the absence of specificity, why assume it?
                      I think that federal/state distinction is critical to answering the question about what the law should be. For example, I would disagree if the question meant, "Gays and lesbians should be able to marry or at least be treated as married under FEDERAL law if they so desire" (ie, have a federal law requiring the recognition by the state of gay marriage), but I would agree if the question meant, "Gays and lesbians should be able to marry or at least be treated as married under STATE law if they so desire," assuming that the elected state body instituted such a state law.

For me, the issue of who sleeps with who and who gets to marry is small potatoes compared to the more important question: who gets to decide the issue? State or federal?

Assuming that the question implied state law would make the most sense, because (unless you're in Indian territory or Washington DC), marriage is defined by state law. However, there are pushes on BOTH sides to define marriage on a federal level--a position with which I disagree, no matter who is touting it. I don't want the US Congress sticking their noses into marriage, regardless of whether it's Falwell or Rosie screaming for a law.

It's hard to take the poll too seriously, though. The questions were generally pretty amateur-ish, I think, and played to a lot of stereotypes and generalities about "reds" and "blues," rather than more important (for critical thinking purposes) political theories.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
                        And on the main quiz, no one's posted a lower number than mine yet. I'm sort of waiting to see if anyone does.
                        You didn't post what you got on the first quiz. I have a feeling my score was at least as low as yours, though I was just guessing on a couple, so it may have been skewed a bit.
                        Sandy
                        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I earned a 12 on the first test and honestly was a tad bit surprised.

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                            Economic Left/Right: -5.13
                            Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

Jenn
                            Okay, I'm a little (A LOT) slow today but where is everyone getting the second chunk of info????

I scored a 12 --- where are you guys getting the more specific data?
                            Flynn

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

29. Can't get into the other one now-- it's not loading...
                              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Economic Left/Right: -4.63
                                Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

...so that's me.
                                Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X