Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Veepstakes thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veepstakes thoughts...

OK, so Obama is supposed to announce his VP either Thurs or Fri...

Who's got guesses...and why?

I'm thinking Biden. It would not be a good pick for him, because Biden WILL say something stupid, obnoxious, and overbearing, but there seems to be a lot of concern circulating right now about Obama's lack of experience. Not sure that Biden is the experience (or mouth) I'd want to bring to the table, and he doesn't exactly complement the "change" theme of the campaign, but he's definitely a senior statesman.

Although, I have to say, I think Sam Nunn would be an awesome pick to help boost the "foreign policy" experience, but the problem is, most people have no idea who Sam Nunn is--I am not sure it would bring the name recognition.

But, in the end, I think he should choose someone that complements the "change" motif. Personally, I wouldn't vote/not vote for a candidate based on their VP choice. If you're really worried about foreign policy experience, vote for the guy you like best and trust that he will surround himself with good cabinet members and a strong NSA choice.

Re: Veepstakes thoughts...

I was watching a bit on the news about Obama's frontrunners. Honestly, I think you're right, Abigail, he's riding high on the message of change and just another inured Washington white guy isn't going to carry the ticket with that same momentum. (And of course, beyond the campaign, we need to be worrying about electing the President who's right for the job. A foreign affairs superstar in the VP's seat isn't going to magically "average out" the experience between them; it's the President with whom the buck stops when all is said and done, and he's either going to make good decisions well-informed by experienced people, or he isn't.) Honestly, when they mentioned Clinton as a potential "surprise" choice I gave her a second glance that I didn't consider when everyone was promoting a "dream ticket". She's got the experience (or claims to) but she's also got that "now for something completely different" vibe going when it comes to the bid for a fresh, 21st century population in the White House.
    Alison

Comment

I won't be the least bit surprised if he picks someone we haven't heard of in the last week. It seems the press has been really off lately, we'll see.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Obama: Kaine from Virginia. Biden: Sec of Defense, Richardson: Sec of State, H. Clinton: A Supreme. and not the Diana Ross kind. B. Clinton: Ambassador to the UN

McCain: Ridge from Pennsylvania. Jindal: An in consequential cabinet post. I see him nominating one of the more moderate Republican women to Sec. of State.

Jenn

Comment

I like Richardson for Obama. McCain, I have no idea.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

All I know is if I were Obama and picked HClinton for vice, I would definitely watch my back.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

McCain is already pretty liberal. He'll need someone viewed as fairly conservative to balance out his ticket.

And, I agree with Sally: If Obama chooses HRC he's going to need to watch his back - figuratively, of course. She'd try to use her VP position to catapult over Obama when he would face re-election (to secure the presidential nomination herself rather than him). She'd be a frenemy to say the least. I hate that word. I can't believe I just used it. It's so highschool girlish.
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Now, now....all this posting and name changing is making lots of administrative work!!!
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I can't fathom how in anyway he'd pick HRC.

and how about Lieberman speaking at the Republican Convention?

J.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCHoosier
                    Like schadenfreude.
                    Hey - where is Alison? Anything German makes me think of Alison.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCHoosier

(PS This is my 50th post - do I get to sit at the big kid table yet? )

See, I'm telling you guys - the way to get posts is to argue with me (or, better yet, agree with me - many times!) in the debate forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel
                        (or, better yet, agree with me - many times!) in the debate forum.
                        i don't see that happening. unless we get an influx of republicans.
                        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Oh, yeah, I know I'm way outnumbered here!

Which is so weird because the vast majority of docs and spouses we know irl are really quite conservative - both in the northeast and in Texas. Scratching the head....

Comment

Definitely- I think our split reflects the rest of the country, except those of us on the leftier side of things are more vocal.

I remember back in the day when Tara and I actually agreed that GWB was in fact, bankrupting the country and we BOTH had issues w/ that!

In all reality, except for the seriously hot button issues that I'm pretty sure are genetically pre-determined, we all mostly agree. I think it's more process driven as to what gets us to disagree.

Like we probably ALL agree that the roads and highways need to be fixed. HOW we do that is going to get everyone all jazzed.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                              Definitely- I think our split reflects the rest of the country, except those of us on the leftier side of things are more vocal.

You think so?

In all the years I've been on here I have always had the impression that most of the people who were regular posters here fell into the left side of things. Do you think it's just that the regulars who post specifically in the debate section are mostly on the left and those mostly on the right just avoid this area entirely or lurk here?

If there's a bunch of you people in agreement with me on lots of stuff just lurking around here you'd better start speaking up! I'm feeling lonely and you need to show me some love!!

Comment

Working...
                              X