Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Veepstakes thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Veepstakes thoughts...

Maybe we lefties are just loudmouths!!!!! I tend to be either "quiet" on a subject here, or overly "loud".
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Ha!

in the xkcd blog (if you don't know what xkcd is, you're either not a geek, or are missing out), the author wrote:

Whoever’s been sending me periodic text messages, formatted like official VP announcements, telling me that Obama has selected Summer Glau as his running mate, please stop. You get my hopes up every time.
      Made me giggle, anyway; too bad she's too young.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

If there's a bunch of you people in agreement with me on lots of stuff just lurking around here you'd better start speaking up! I'm feeling lonely and you need to show me some love!!
        Wish I could help you... I grew up Republican without really knowing what all that entailed (equating my spiritual life with the big political/moral hot topics, ignoring other "spiritual" issues of social justice and environmental responsibility). DH (Republican) teases me whenever we talk about future income goals that since I'm now a "Democrat" & believe in graduated taxes, I won't see as big a percentage of the money he hopes to make someday. (Totally in jest - he doesn't actually want to affect how I vote - and I also respect that he is Republican b/c he has thought through the issues and believes in them. We agree on the things that are most important to us.) I find the political debates threads very informative, but since I'm on the fence, I like to keep my mouth shut & my ears open.

I have a feeling there are a number of fence-sitters like me right now who are just wishing for the right person/combination of people to bridge the divide.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCHoosier
          The latest gossip:

Republican sources say McCain has apparently settled on Romney as his pick, but no offer has been made.

==========

Mark Halperin says two sources "who know" say McCain is picking Romney. This is a pick that has long made sense demographically. If two of the four the toughest battlegrounds include Colorado and Michigan, Romney's Michigan roots and his strength in Western states with high LDS concentrations make him a demographically smart pick

Well, and this could make sense since McCain AND Obama both have seriously weak economic backgrounds. Romney doesn't just pretend to know how the economy works - he can be considered an expert on it. And, since his career has largely focused on fixing huge things gone horribly wrong he's got the experience to put out viable short and long term solutions to our current situation.

Plus, I am sure there are plenty of people like me that would not vote for McCain unless Romney was on the ticket. If he takes Romney as his running mate it will save me the write-in vote!
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Deb7456
            If there's a bunch of you people in agreement with me on lots of stuff just lurking around here you'd better start speaking up! I'm feeling lonely and you need to show me some love!!
            Wish I could help you... I grew up Republican without really knowing what all that entailed (equating my spiritual life with the big political/moral hot topics, ignoring other "spiritual" issues of social justice and environmental responsibility). DH (Republican) teases me whenever we talk about future income goals that since I'm now a "Democrat" & believe in graduated taxes, I won't see as big a percentage of the money he hopes to make someday. (Totally in jest - he doesn't actually want to affect how I vote - and I also respect that he is Republican b/c he has thought through the issues and believes in them. We agree on the things that are most important to us.) I find the political debates threads very informative, but since I'm on the fence, I like to keep my mouth shut & my ears open.
            Yeah, I have a sil who considers herself liberal and votes as a Democrat because she is similarly confused. A lot of us who open our mouths do so because we've also got open ears. Generally being deaf goes hand in hand with being mute. :P

I have a feeling there are a number of fence-sitters like me right now who are just wishing for the right person to bridge the divide.
            What does that mean exactly? It sounds pretty on paper - but I'd like to hear a more indepth explanation as to what this entails for you.

Comment

I'm not seeing the Romney thing though because they REALLY don't like each other.

J.

Comment

Yeah, NYCHoosier is right about how it will be smoothed over if that nomination happens.

But, I do think it was apparent earlier on that McCain really hates Romney's guts. But, it wouldn't be the first time a president has held a strong dislike for his veep.

Comment

What does that mean exactly? It sounds pretty on paper - but I'd like to hear a more indepth explanation as to what this entails for you.
                  It simply means there are issues on both sides that have become non-negotiable for me, making it difficult to choose a party.

A lot of us who open our mouths do so because we've also got open ears.
                  I am glad there are people here who do have their views pretty well established, and it helps me to hear the issues & possibilities discussed. It's totally fair to fault me on not having thought some of my political views through well enough previously, but I appreciate the space to do it now, especially in a format where there's a lot more objective discussion of issues than the personal attacks that are nearly inseparable from politics. It doesn't make sense for me to defend any political views at this point (which maybe I just did, inadvertently) as long as I am currently thinking things through.

Sorry if I was offensive at all in my description of how I'm reassessing my views! Carry on as before...

Comment

We try to play nice here, Deb. From time to time, personal attacks do occur, things get heated and everyone retreats to lick their political wounds. After a time, people creep back out and start a conversation again. You offended no one with your post; don't get self-conscious. If you are aiming to offend, you'll just have to try harder!

I've always appreciated the open discussion as well. I'm also a proud flip-flopper. I think it demonstrates an open mind and an active thought process on important issues. I'm glad we have a place to discuss our views intelligently and learn from the process. This isn't a competitive debate forum -it's just where we put the heated "non-supportive environment" iMSN talks.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Deb7456
                      Sorry if I was offensive at all in my description of how I'm reassessing my views! Carry on as before...
                      You weren't. Please do not apologize.

Honestly I think THAT is the larger reason why many people (from both sides) don't bother to pipe up in here. There are so many of us that have very strong opinions we tend to bowl over the others who are just wading in. Not everyone is going to have a 10 point platform to explain why they feel a certian way, but I think those folks are just as welcome to pipe in with how they do feel & think at the moment.

Comment

If you are aiming to offend, you'll just have to try harder!
                        OK then! From a fence-sitter's perspective, Kaine seems like a smart choice if Obama is trying to win conservative votes. But with the seeming unlikelihood of having a Republican president this time around, that may not factor as much into his choice.

McCain and Romney seem like polar opposites, as far as personality & background. I guess if they're looking for balance, they'll get it! :|

Comment

Deb, you weren't being offensive - AT ALL.

I'm sorry if I was too hard on you. I probably should have explained that I was being tongue-in-cheek with one statement and I really wanted an answer on the other statement because I like to know exactly what someone is talking about.

I don't expect everyone here to sit down and have a 10 point statement on every issue. However, I do believe that if you say something you should be able to either defend it or admit you were wrong.

Again, I'm sorry if I was too hard on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel
                            Deb, you weren't being offensive - AT ALL.

I'm sorry if I was too hard on you. I probably should have explained that I was being tongue-in-cheek with one statement and I really wanted an answer on the other statement because I like to know exactly what someone is talking about.

I don't expect everyone here to sit down and have a 10 point statement on every issue. However, I do believe that if you say something you should be able to either defend it or admit you were wrong.

We posted at exactly the same time... No, you weren't too hard on me. I was just trying to explain why I usually only lurk in these threads. I agree that it would be nice to hear more from the Republican side of things (not that I want debates, just persepectives), but I won't be much help there.

Comment

However, I do believe that if you say something you should be able to either defend it or admit you were wrong.

This could be a different debate thread entirely - but I don't believe that an inability (or lack of desire) to articulate one's opinion in writing doesn't automatically mean a person is wrong. :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                                However, I do believe that if you say something you should be able to either defend it or admit you were wrong.

This could be a different debate thread entirely - but I don't believe that an inability (or lack of desire) to articulate one's opinion in writing doesn't automatically mean a person is wrong. :huh:

I think reasonably intelligent people can think through why they feel a certain way about an issue and be able to communicate 1)their opinion and 2)at least the rudimentary reasons they came to that conclusion. That is probably the most basic defense of an opinion and I don't think it's beyond the normal person.

And, if you can't even come up with rudimentary reasons for believing something then perhaps you should examine whether you are wrong on that subject.

It does require a certain level of humility to honestly step back and examine 1)WHY you believe what you do and 2)if you could be wrong - and why or why not. I think all reasonably intelligent people are capable of that basic level of humility and self honesty as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X