Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kate Middleton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And see, I like Diane Rehm. To each his own, I guess.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I can't imagine what she must have been going through, but I'm also inclined to believe that her self murder was about more things going on in her life than just the humiliation of the hoax. I find it difficult to blame it solely on the DJ's prank. I suspect she had to have already been in a pretty dark place and then the pressure of the recent situation broke the camels back so to speak. Everyone so far has spoken very highly of her and she seemed very popular. They describe her as cheery and an admired, passionate, dedicated coworker. Which doesn't seem to fit the self esteem of someone who would resort to suicide. Does it?

Also she had two small children and a spouse. I wonder if the spouse had any indication of depression from her. The police tell us there is no reason to be suspicious because it looks like a suicide but the story that is given about her by everyone else including the place she worked at for over four years hasn't given any indications she had any problems other than the recent incident which the hospital said they were supporting her on. That doesn't seem enough for anyone to kill themselves over.

The one thing I can tell you that we haven't heard is anyone immediately involved with her expressing shock or horror about her suicide. Everyone seems to express that they are deeply sad but not surprised if that is any indication. I'd be interested to know if any of her close friends or family knew about anything going on with her and why she'd leave two kids and a husband behind. Did she speak to anyone about how she was feeling like a cry for help before committing the act?
      Last edited by Cinderella; 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM.
      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Even if she already was depressed, I am sure that if that prank did not happen, she would be alive today. It might not be the only reason, but it was probably the breaking point. Whether or not she was already depressed is not the issue. Is it less tragic if she was already depressed?
        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

This pregnancy will forever be tied to this. I can only imagine how those that "believe in omens", will see this as "bad juju." Seriously, how sad to have your first pregnancy (something so joyous) be linked to a tragedy?!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
            Even if she already was depressed, I am sure that if that prank did not happen, she would be alive today. It might not be the only reason, but it was probably the breaking point. Whether or not she was already depressed is not the issue. Is it less tragic if she was already depressed?
            I'm not sure what you're saying is in disagreement with what I said because it seems we're saying the same thing in that the prank was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I can't speculate if she'd still be alive if it hadn't of happened, but I can say that it's not something to kill yourself over, and it could have been any number of personal experiences that would be the cause for her taking her own life.

When people get in an upset frame of mind, or not in their right mind, it could have been something as simple as her favorite scrunchy broke that really upset her enough to feel nothing was going her way and life was against her so she might as well end it. Killing yourself over a broken scrunchy, or being the one who was trusting enough and didn't want to question the authority of the queen if it was her doesn't seem like a good reason unless you self esteem is sorely lacking and you're depressed and suicidal.

I think the tragedy of the situation is obvious either way.

Originally posted by Momo View Post
            This pregnancy will forever be tied to this. I can only imagine how those that "believe in omens", will see this as "bad juju." Seriously, how sad to have your first pregnancy (something so joyous) be linked to a tragedy?!
            I feel the same way.
            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

What I'm saying is who cares whether she was depressed or not? Wondering whether her family knew anything just puts the burden on them. Depression or not, these idiots killed her.

Comment

Hopefully, one thing to come from this is that douchetard DJs around the globe well perhaps rethink their idiotic pranks.

Comment

What DD said! It's too bad we lost a good member of society (a nurse) because of the actions of two people who contribute very little (morning radio hosts).

Comment

I'm treading lightly here because this is a horrible tragedy, but these DJs did nothing that thousands of other TV and radio personalities have done. I can't believe the backlash against them (major sponsors dropping their radio station). It is horrible that this woman felt that there was no hope for her, but it seems like a pretty extreme reaction that no one could have forseen. I mean, did anyone see Borat? Some of those unwilling participants have cause to feel emotional anguish because he really made them reveal their dark, ugly side and then profited greatly from it. These DJ's just faked a blimey accent in an attempt to imitate the Queen and inquired about the Duchess' well being. It isn't even like they revealed major information like the status of her last pap smear. Again, this is a horrible tragedy, but let's not turn this into a crucifiction.
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Probably my own bias showing, but I hope this scares the ever-loving shit out of the moronic DJs who pull these types of stunts. I stopped listening to regular radio loooooong ago, in part because the "personalities" that are encouraged are totally annoying dipshits.

I just wish more DJs were like Daria O'Neill and less like Howard Stern.

Comment

Who knows what that nurse was going through. Unlike Borat, this became global news. And the paparazzi are supposed to be much much worse in London. I'm sure she was going through hell and terrible harassment.

Comment

The DJs aren't responsible for her death. The other nurse who gave out the health information on the Duchess didn't kill herself. All the King's hospital men and women didn't kill themselves for being the butt of the joke. Everybody calm down because this nurse murdered herself. She took her own life. It's not anyone else's fault. The DJs were a couple of jokers.

The media hasn't shown the bit of interest in the nurses until this death. The Royal family didn't make any complaints to the hospital about the breach of privacy. The hospital has said they didn't discipline anyone for the breach of privacy and hadn't planned to. Her friends and family all spoke highly of her so there doesn't appear to be any belittlement from her peers for an honest mistake of a non-native speaking immigrant nurse who transferred the call.

From the reports I've read coming out today on this nurse she's an immigrant from India. The hospital chairman said it was let known to him that she felt confused and lonely. It's challenging and isolating for a new immigrant to any country. She was far away from her home and her main support group for nine years. She worked long hours as a nurse and sometimes double shifts so she could spend more time alone with her family. People with serious depression don't always show indications of this to friends and family.

I think she killed herself because she was really tired from working long hours and taking care of two small kids alone, which can make any person depressed, and she was incredibly lonely. Life wasn't what she dreamed it would be. What she did she did alone. Blaming someone else for what she did doesn't bring her back or make anything better. All we can do is offer compassion to those that are left behind in this tragedy.
                          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Suicide is a multi-layered issue. The only person "responsible" for it is by definition the person doing the act. However, that doesn't entirely absolve culpability of others who may have contributed additional or undue stressors.

Really, it doesn't matter. I just hope pranks like the kind perpetrated in this instance are fewer and further between. They're moronic and annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                              I'm treading lightly here because this is a horrible tragedy, but these DJs did nothing that thousands of other TV and radio personalities have done. I can't believe the backlash against them (major sponsors dropping their radio station). It is horrible that this woman felt that there was no hope for her, but it seems like a pretty extreme reaction that no one could have forseen. I mean, did anyone see Borat? Some of those unwilling participants have cause to feel emotional anguish because he really made them reveal their dark, ugly side and then profited greatly from it. These DJ's just faked a blimey accent in an attempt to imitate the Queen and inquired about the Duchess' well being. It isn't even like they revealed major information like the status of her last pap smear. Again, this is a horrible tragedy, but let's not turn this into a crucifiction.
                              I'm with Kelly!!!
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Saying the DJs killed this woman is like saying everyone else is in charge of how you feel and react to things. I'd like to take this moment to thank you for making me in charge of your feelings and reactions. Sounds ludicrous right? In reality nobody is in charge of your personal feelings or how you choose to react to things. No one, period. You and yourself get that choice alone. If you allow someone to influence you positively or negatively that's all you.
                                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
                                X