Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kate Middleton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humor me please. Isn't that what this forum is for? Stress relief and to gossip about the rich and famous? I can't wait to see her maternity wear either and to discuss all the details down the line.
    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      . . . plus my hormones made me FLIP my SHIT over shopping maternity styles . . . I broke down crying in the mall....
      This totally happened to me...except that I was 14 and not pregnant...but despite that, my mom thought it was a good idea for me "just to try on some maternity bras for fit" since I was so busty. I was already half blubbering when my mom forced me into the store; I totally lost it when the sales woman asked me how far along I was. Mind you, I was like a D or a DD at most at the time and there were definitely non-nursing style bras that fit me.

It's a wonder I have as high of self esteem as I do with all her shenanigans...

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. MD, Esq. View Post
        This totally happened to me...except that I was 14 and not pregnant...but despite that, my mom thought it was a good idea for me "just to try on some maternity bras for fit" since I was so busty. I was already half blubbering when my mom forced me into the store; I totally lost it when the sales woman asked me how far along I was. Mind you, I was like a D or a DD at most at the time and there were definitely non-nursing style bras that fit me.

It's a wonder I have as high of self esteem as I do with all her shenanigans...
        OMG, you poor thing .

Comment

See now I think Mrs. MD Esq. was lucky because at 14 I was begging my parents for bras, shaving razors, make up and they were still in denial I was a really a female in all the males they had. I was more embarrassed walking around in gym class with a braless C size cup, hairy legs and arm pits and no makeup. It was awkward being the only girl at the time in a family of all boys. It wasn't until I was 15 and went to live with my Mom did I get any recognition I was maturing hormones and all.

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
          I definitely like Kate's style. She is an amazing ambassador on behalf of Britain and has made the monarchy relevant again. She definitely lives a privileged life.

With all this being said, I would NEVER trade lives with her. I feel sorry for her, essentially she lives in a gilded cage. Can you imagine always having to be "on" and looking like a fashion plate? How will she ever reconcile her VERY public persona with her authentic self? What about the bad years, acne, and yoga pants that the rest of us occasionally succumb? Has she even formed opinions about things? She won't be able to share them when she discovers something about herself. I do think that the Royals were smart to err on the side of privacy and discretion with her entry int o the role, but even so, everything she does is up for debate. Seriously, whether Kate breastfeeds or spanks will all be talked about ad infinitum. That's one hell of a spotlight. I wish her well, it is a loosing proposition from the get go.
          I wanted to reply to this earlier but I forgot about it until a recently.

I would like to trade lives with her for one day just to get a peek. As for being "on" all the time she doesn't have to be. There is the red carpet rule in their country that was set into place because of Princess Diana's death. The royals have protection from media during none media events. That doesn't stop paparazzi however in other countries. That's why we get to see pictures of Kate topless on more than one vacation, or Kate privately smoking a cigarette. There is the private side to her that no one but the people close to her get to see and that's on purpose.

I believe she's a confident person and has formed opinions about herself but she's married to the future King of England. She's not going to be ruler but rather her positions is one that is cast in a supporting role such as we see with the Queen's husband the Duke of Edinburgh. She will never speak out about her position on things unless instructed to because it's not just about her, and Diana left a lot of lessons in her wake on that.

I don't feel sorry for her because she chose this life. She was groomed for nearly a decade for it. She was tested during the break up to see if she could withstand the media spotlight that comes with the position and she remained tight lipped about the relationship and passed. Prince Harry's former flame Ms. Davy saw the royal role and responsibilities and said publicly she wouldn't choose that, while Kate did consciously chose it. Her and Kate were very close during the royal girlfriends to the Princes era that they shared together. Kate wasn't unfamiliar with the spotlight either because of her modeling and sports and being the royal girlfriend.

She certainly knew what she was choosing by marrying an heir to the throne. That the spotlight would be intense and that she would be required to produce the future heir and that discretion is a must if you want to be included into their circle. They're public figures and an entire country is invested in them for a lot of things from their history to the tourism they bring in. It's sad but true that while they're human beings and have the same emotions that we do they're not like most of us with off years because they chose this life. They don't have to have this life even if they're born into it. They can abdicate their position and let someone else carry the burden but they consider it their duty. Heck even William said he wasn't going to wear a wedding ring because, "he's married to his country."

You have to admit that her title and position comes with a lot of perks. Like who else has in-laws that will throw you a 40 million dollar wedding that is watched by 2.4 billion people across the world in a venue that is exclusively for royals only? A family that influences politics and fashion trends and global events. A family that owns more homes than most, and gets all the best spots at all the coveted events, and can go any where they want in the world, buy anything they want.

It's really admirable that they do it with dignity and respect because they see themselves as ambassadors of their country to the world. They're not acting like the other rich and famous people from other countries who are in your face acting trashy and getting into trouble and well...that's another thread I'm sure when the occasion arises.
          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Err...I didn't mean to come off as shaming about the fact that we were gossiping. Hell, bring it on and there is no judgment from me.

I just think that she has purchased a life that has huge ramifications.
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
              Err...I didn't mean to come off as shaming about the fact that we were gossiping. Hell, bring it on and there is no judgment from me.

I just think that she has purchased a life that has huge ramifications.
              Thanks for that! I love to gossip about her the most probably cause really I admire her and all the perks. Heck I'm envious her parents bought her a $150,000 designer wedding gown and custom made diamond acorn earrings for her. All those things speak glittery and glamorous to me. I also find British life fascinating. No doubt about the huge ramifications that come with the lifestyle.
              PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Meh. Just because they *can* buy anything doesn't always mean they *should*. That family wealth doesn't just belong to them, it's to be preserved for generations to come. Here's how a Brit described the culture of old money vs. nouveaux riche in upperclass Europe:

‘Stuff’ is a key distinction in Europe between old money and nouveau riche. If you are a footballer’s wife, you probably have got 1,800 designer handbags, and you have bought a house away from the major cities, so there’s room to store everything. Old money types do not want the nouveaux riches crashing their private party, so they have their own set of rules that are fully known only by them. Teh roolz includes stealth wealth (so everything you wear and own has to be fantastic quality but must not be flashy or ostentatious), and spending your money on exclusive experiences which you can then discuss with your elite friends, probably while wearing wellies and resembling a geography student.
                Alison

Comment

There's definitely an old money v. new money thing in the US, too.

Comment

There's definitely an old money v. new money thing in the US, too.
                    Uh, yeah. Big time.
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                    X