Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What is up with the ads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shows what I know!
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

No - we are thinking of backing down from the NFP filing. It was in the works, but looks to be a lot of work to set up and maintain. I think when we decided to back off from that, Kris turned to the ads to get the revenue.

FWIW, I do think you can collect money via a PayPal button even if you aren't an NFP. I think the NFP collecting money is a little more complex, actually. Then it has to be spent on our "mission". If Kris just collects money we give of our own free will, she can do with it what she chooses. At least, that's what I've read about donation buttons online. Maybe we should check in to that option as well. I like the idea of a yearly "pony up" campaign to fill the coffers for the year to come. We could do a fundraising bar on the front page and when it's full, we can close the donations.

That said, I don't mind the ads. Whatever Kris wants and whatever supports the site best, I say.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

The reason I suggested a telethon of sorts is because it could be a money raising drive as well as a membership drive if those interested give witness as to how iMSN has helped through the process, how we have become a family, etc. I know it sounds hokey but it might help people who are afraid to post to come out of lurking mode, help others post more when they need to, etc. I'm sure there is also a downside and it's not like we need to recruit members, that's not what I really mean. Placental brain drain is obviously catching up to me because I am having difficulty fully articulating my point but you all get the drift right?
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I just checked on the "donate" option and apparently PayPal will only allow "donate" buttons to be created by NFPs. So, if we went that route ever, we'd have to edit in a "Contribute" button that was really a "buy" or "add to cart", I think. (I'm rambling... but just wanted to correct what I'd posted before.)
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Well, if the option is to buy, then Kris might be on the hook for taxes, and who wants to mess with that? Maybe this is a little out there, but how about we buy the book and pass it along to other spouses who might find it useful? The only downside is that Kris might not be getting much for every book sold. On the plus side, it might increase the number of members.

ETA: The ads don't REALLY bother me, but they'll take some getting used to.
            Last edited by MissCrabette; 03-13-2012, 05:31 PM.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
              I just checked on the "donate" option and apparently PayPal will only allow "donate" buttons to be created by NFPs. So, if we went that route ever, we'd have to edit in a "Contribute" button that was really a "buy" or "add to cart", I think. (I'm rambling... but just wanted to correct what I'd posted before.)
              There are other websites you can use to collect donations without having to be an NFP. We used one of them to collect donations from our family and friends for DH's recent medical trip abroad. The donations were collected and then DH "withdrew" them from the site and into his checking account (minus a small percentage service fee).

This was the article I had found about different types of websites one can use to collect funds: http://www.myispfinder.org/ispblog/2...donation-fund/
              Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Current: Meth PSA and Williams Sonoma? Weird combo...!
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

The Meth PSA is worrying....
                  Angie

Comment

Just curious, if it seems the majority of us (at least those that have posted in this thread) would be willing to donate why the hesitation to move in that direction? Especially if it can be worked out as a voluntary thing that brings in enough money I don't think we would chase anyone off.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                      The Meth PSA is worrying....
                      Honestly, I think it is location-specific. It is one of the public health campaigns in this area, I figure that is all it is. Now Williams Sonoma... I might have a problem with that one.
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

The ads want me to go to the Hotel del Coronado. I'm game. LOL
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Sorry I haven't replied. It's been so busy here.

We have tried the donations thing in the past. It gets complicated by the fact that people want to donate but want a money trail and full accounting (which I can understand), there are many pledges to donate followed by not so many donations, and really, I hate hate hate fund raising drives here. It feels so wrong. I don't want anyone here to be paying for anything.

The ads are generating ~$1 day as they are. That would pay for hosting and allow me to start setting money aside. We all want to donate when people are struggling, but those drives have been uneven in that some people who are less vocal with their lives end up getting little support, while others garner a lot. I'd like it to be more even-handed. Also, adding a little bit of a cushion would entitle us to have money for unexpected upgrade/software stuff.

Let's just give it a go and see what happens. We can revisit it at anytime.

Kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Does it help if we click on them? I can make a point to log on from my computer sometimes if it will generate more revenue.
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I keep clicking on the Hotel del Coronado. A girl can dream. Right?
                              Veronica
                              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Oh wow it looks really fabulous! http://www.hoteldel.com/
                                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
                                X