Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

iMSN Holiday Cookie Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone needs any inspiration, the Washington Post ran a nothing but cookies section today. You all will be getting the key Lime sugar cookies- because 1) they're not brownies and 2) they're not brownies, and 3) they're not brownies.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
      The Martha Stewart cookie mag has gorgeous photos and the index has a little photo of each cookie next to the name. So clever! And so very Martha.
      And right now, Martha would probably be baking her cookies and not on the internet...like me. Must bake!
      Martha would also have a clean kitchen and countertops in order to do that. Unfortunately, that isn't the case here. So, in order to get my cookies done I have to:

1. Stop looking at this wonderfully addictive site.
      2. Stop finding other more varied excuses that keep me from working.
      3. Finish my typing for the day today, tommorrow, and Friday.
      4. Clean my house.
      5. Grocery shop.
      6. All the other stuff that happens in between, kids, meals, etc.

Then, I can bake. Clearly this is not going to happen until at least Saturday.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Got some cookies today. Luanne, were those from you?

Thank you. I haven't tried any yet, but they look good!

Comment

Cookies sent on Saturday! I hope they make it on-time. My avatar has a sneak preview -- Spice Stars from Martha Stewart.

I received some yummy coconut cookies from JennP. Packed with edible puppy chow!

Comment

I got Nellies and Jenn P. I have one ingredient missing so I'm cooking this evening, if I can send the spouse to the store. (how could I not have limes?)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
              I got Nellies and Jenn P. I have one ingredient missing so I'm cooking this evening, if I can send the spouse to the store. (how could I not have limes?)

Jenn
              You are kidding! I sent those on Saturday morning! Go, postal service. Guess they got out before the icestorm.

Comment

Yes Heidi they were from me, I can't believe I didn't put a card in the package!!!
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I have Luanne's too! I thought it was a mystery ala secret santa but the Princeton postmark gave it away quickly. They are yummy - and hidden from my family - until I get the ones I want.

I also got some of Jenn P.'s yummy cookies. My husband loved them . He ate a bunch after he got the mail. Luckily, he didn't eat the recipe!!

I sent my pecan balls/mexican wedding cakes/snowballs (whatever they are called in your neck of the woods) today - to Jenn P., Heidi and Jenn H. I hope you like them!
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
                    I sent my pecan balls/mexican wedding cakes/snowballs (whatever they are called in your neck of the woods) today - to Jenn P., Heidi and Jenn H. I hope you like them!
                    I can't wait! I forgot the card in mine too! I was trying to get to the post office before it closed! I sent Amaretto and Almond Chocolate Truffles, English Toffee, and Sugar Cookies to Nellie, Kris, and Luanne today! I hope they arrive nicely, and you enjoy them!

Comment

I'm excited (and glad all of my cookies arrived to their targets promptly). I'll be checking for my packages in the mail.

Comment

Awesome cookies & cake Nellie! But you didn't give recipes!! I wanna make the ginger cookies!!!

You got so fancy with the assortment! I was lazy.

Comment

Jenn,
                          The Spice Stars are from Martha's cookie mag. I'll post the recipe here. I know I was supposed to send them but got...lazy and figured I could post them here.
                          I did an assortment because I couldn't make up my mind. I also made mini black and whites but didn't like how they turned out so pitched them. I'll try again later.

This is my slightly modified (and better ) version of the Spice Stars from Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies (p 47).

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
                          1 c sugar
                          1 c dark corn syrup (or 3/4c light plus 1/4 c molasses)
                          1 T cider vinegar
                          5 cups sifted all purpose flour
                          1 t baking soda
                          1 1/4 t cinnamon
                          1 1/2 t ginger
                          1/2 t cloves
                          fresh grated nutmeg (about half of one of those buggers or 1/4 t or so from the jar)
                          a few grinds of fresh pepper
                          1/2 coarse salt
                          2 large eggs, lightly beaten

White nonpareils, for sprinkling, or sanding sugar, or royal icing

1. Melt butter w/ sugar, corn syrup, and vinegar in medium saucepan over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Sift flour, baking soda, spices, and salt itno a large bowl; stir into butter mixture. Stir in eggs until batter is very smooth. Refrigerate until firm, about two hours.

2. Preheat oven to 350. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Working w/ one piece at a time, roll out dough on lightly floured work surface to 1/8" thick. Cut out stars w/ a 2.5" star-shape cookie cutter. Transfer to baking sheets lined w/ parchment paper. Sprinkle w/ nonpariels (if using). You can re-roll the scraps once.
                          3. Bake cookies until edges are golden brown, about 7-8min. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored airtight at room temp for 5 days.
                          Makes 5 dozen.

Comment

I got my cookies, thanks Luanne and Nellie! Super yum, and didn't last long, esp once DH & DS got a hold of them!

Luanne & Kris, you should be getting mine tomorrow. Nellie, I already told you the story. They will be headed out in the morning.

I loooove cookies...

Comment

I'm sorry guys....I totally blew it this year. I never did get my cookies baked or out the door. Can I still do it next year?

kris
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Mine went out Wednesday- I conned my mom into mailing them for me because her post office is so tiny that there are no lines.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                                X