Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

This is a test thread for moderation features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
    Would it be a temporary "time-out" period or a full "you're blocked from this thread" kind of thing? I like the mandatory cool-down period a little better, but maybe that is just personal preference?
    I agree. 2-4 weeks cool off. Long enough that they really won't take the time to go back and post more about the same issue in the same thread. Some of the threads are on going. For example, I don't want to see anyone kicked out of the Rant or Rave threads forever.
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Can they still read, or are they banned from reading too? A couple of weeks seems really long to me, but I am not experienced with any other boards.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I'd like to approach this with some humor. It doesn't have to be harsh; we can put someone in Time Out or the Penalty Box if we only think they need time to calm down. And once again, I would like to be clear that these events are VERY RARE. Of course we are thinking of firing up the debates again....
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I think what actions we block are totally programmable.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
            I'd like to approach this with some humor. It doesn't have to be harsh; we can put someone in Time Out or the Penalty Box if we only think they need time to calm down. And once again, I would like to be clear that these events are VERY RARE. Of course we are thinking of firing up the debates again....
            I love this. Penalty box fits so well with the sport-themed cards! And I think in a worst-case scenario, it should become read-only access... to avoid a "omg, can you believe *he* did that?" turn in the discussion knowing that the person in question has been kicked out of the thread. Knowing that they can still read will also keep those remaining in check.
            Last edited by scrub-jay; 08-15-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
              I love this. Penalty box fits so well with the sport-themed cards! And I think in a worst-case scenario, it should become read-only access... to avoid a "omg, can you believe *he* did that?" turn in the discussion knowing that the person in question has been kicked out of the thread. Knowing that they can still read will also keep those remaining in check.
              Agree, read only would be good. At first I was thinking a month of no posting in the thread they were put in time-out for. Two weeks is too long? How about 48 hours? Two nights sleep on something should be long enough to cool a normal person off, right? I don't think 1 hour would be long enough because they might not even know they were put in time-out, then released from time-out, and back posting more rude content again all in the same afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                I think an overnight - like a flat 24 hrs - is fine. Stuff moves so fast online that two weeks of time out is really, really long IMO.

As for read-only access to where they were acting up, I don't know... what's to stop them from starting a new thread bitching about what is in the other thread? I can see it escalating if someone's really amped up or whatever, know what I mean? They can see people talking about them but can't reply, so just open a new thread. I think a block is better precisely for that reason. I've seen it happen on another board where I was an admin.

Dude, I just typed the word Stop and now I have a Stop icon. LOL! WTF?
                That is a really good point too.

Comment

*notes that smilies should not be coded with common words*
                  Angie

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                    I think an overnight - like a flat 24 hrs - is fine. Stuff moves so fast online that two weeks of time out is really, really long IMO.

As for read-only access to where they were acting up, I don't know... what's to stop them from starting a new thread bitching about what is in the other thread? I can see it escalating if someone's really amped up or whatever, know what I mean? They can see people talking about them but can't reply, so just open a new thread. I think a block is better precisely for that reason. I've seen it happen on another board where I was an admin.

Dude, I just typed the word Stop and now I have a Stop icon. LOL! WTF?
                    I agree. Blocking would be good to prevent them from posting about it in other threads. If they did continue with the same rant/rudeness in another thread we would have to "card" them again. Then they need more punishments for not adhering to the first punishment. What would that second offense in a short period of time look like? Maybe it would be different than someone getting a infraction once then not getting another one for 6 months or a year down road.

Comment

I thought they could expire? Is that still on the table? I wouldn't want a scarlet letter forevermore...

Comment

I don't know where or how its done but I would like there to be a record somewhere of the number and dates infractions are given to a user. Over time if someone becomes a problem we will have a set of rules and a record of them being jerks or abusive. No more accusations, just the facts and a record of infractions. I don't think it has to be public information. IMHO I think it would keep the tone friendly and people on their best behavior if it were public.

Comment

The total infractions for each user are recorded in the back end and remain there for our records. I do believe they expire on the front end and whatever limitations went along with them. I may go flag another Test User post with an hourly infraction so we can see if it disappears on the post in question after the time lapse.
                          Angie

Comment

Working...
                          X