Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fitness/Weightloss 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, those of you with small kids how do you stay motivated/find the time? I'm REALLY struggling with running more then 2-3 times/week which means I am NOT going to be ready for a Half in May unless I get my rear in GEAR! We no longer belong to a gym so my options are the treadmill when DH isn't home or outside on Mondays when the kids are both in school which of course they're not next week and then we're on vacation...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bittersweet View Post
      Just a quick update: I've lost 3 pounds. it's not a lot but I'll take it. I've been horrible about getting regular exercise since returning to work and I know I can do better. The couch is just too dang tempting after a long day of working, child wrangling and cleaning/cooking. Still trying to find that elusive balance. I'm starting yoga again on Saturday and am really nervous. I know it's foolish but all those thin, beautiful yoga bodies are intimidating!
      FYI 3 pounds is Amazing!! Its a great jump start! You'll do great at yoga and remember rest is just as important as eating good and exercise!
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

• Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
        Ok, those of you with small kids how do you stay motivated/find the time? I'm REALLY struggling with running more then 2-3 times/week which means I am NOT going to be ready for a Half in May unless I get my rear in GEAR! We no longer belong to a gym so my options are the treadmill when DH isn't home or outside on Mondays when the kids are both in school which of course they're not next week and then we're on vacation...
        I only workout while DD is in school and a couple nights a week when DH can meet me at the gym for a evening class. DD is in school 4 days a week for 3 hours. I honestly get nothing else done while she is in school and it sucks! I could be much more productive if i had those 3 hours to get some shopping done or run errands. The only time I can run a errand while she is in school is when the errand is on the way to her school. I had to make a quick Target run today while she was in school. I lost 45 minutes of my workout today because of that. What I'm saying is that other things in my life really suffer because I'm devoting all the "free time" I get to working out. Its really hard no matter what the situation.
        How many hours are they both in school at the same time? Are you maxing out all of that time? Could you get extra child care temporarily until your race in May?

Comment

• I run on our treadmill every morning before my kids get up. I'm way too tired to do it at the end of the day, and there's no time/opportunity during the day!
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

• I ran (okay walk-jogged) on the treadmill in the evenings after the kid was down. I only looked forward to it bc I'd save favorite shows or movies to watch (on iPhone or iPad) during my workout.
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

• I made it 25 days. I had to drop out. The day classes I was attending, didn't have enough people showing up. They moved the classes to 6 am and 5:30 and 6:30 pm. Dh isn't home for me to attend.
              I'll start walking again soon. It's warming up a bit and the days are getting longer. Walking was how I lost the original 60lbs anyway...
              Proud of all of you!!!
              Last edited by rainbabies; 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM.
              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

• I don't think I'd last 2 weeks in boot camp. All those squats. Ouch. I'm not a fan of squats. I think I may have injured my knee way back and never had it repaired; for whatever reason, it's unstable and squats really feel scary.

I've got a new problem. I'm starting to feel listless and foggy. I'm losing weight steadily - and happy for it - but I'm not sure I can manage my workload (enormous!) without my equally enormous intake of food. Anyone been through this? I may have to up my calorie count although I really don't want to do that. I never seem to be able to diet effectively and I've really hit the sweet spot in the last 6 weeks. Maybe I just need sleep. Whatever---- it's just been two days of dragging myself around. I'm still hitting yoga and walking -- but I'm like a zombie in between. I can't focus.

(Obviously, this post is a good example of my symptoms....I'm all over the place!)

ETA: Any chance it could be related to a vitamin or iron deficiency? Maybe I should start taking a multi. Bleh.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

• Tried Ashtanga yoga on Tuesday...I normally do vinyasa. My hamstrings are still so sore/tight that I cannot walk or sit on a toilet without excessive pain.

I didn't even feel like I was working that hard during the class (it was much faster paced but I definitely sweat more during my normal class)!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                    ETA: Any chance it could be related to a vitamin or iron deficiency? Maybe I should start taking a multi. Bleh.
                    Definitely could be iron - I always have WAY more energy when I remember to take my iron pills regularly (I've been borderline anemic since HS). I take the slow-release ones, with food, and they don't tend to bother my stomach (regular iron pills make me a little queasy)
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

• Chelated iron doesn't upset stomachs as much, either. Could also be a vitamin D issue.

Maybe try upping your intake iron rich foods for a while and see if that helps?

Comment

• I've got the vitamins out. I'm dairy free. Ideas for easy Vit D? I've been eating mostly veggies, clear soups, chicken, fish and a pristine bar (kind) here and there. I feel soooo run down.
                        Angie
                        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

• Ashtanga is crazy. Did you do drop back wheels? What killed your hammies?
                          Angie

Comment

I've got the vitamins out. I'm dairy free. Ideas for easy Vit D? I've been eating mostly veggies, clear soups, chicken, fish and a pristine bar (kind) here and there. I feel soooo run down.
                            Heh. DH says "Vitamin D supplements"
                            Sandy
                            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Ideas for easy Vit D? .
                              Tropical iMSN vacation??

Comment

• Does it feel like low blood sugar type symptoms? Maybe you do need more protein. Is it all day or after the workouts? Try getting a extra hour of sleep for a few days and up your water if you are low. Its normal to get tired. I'm very tired by the end of the day with all my extra working out. In fact on Sun/Mon/Tues/Wen I had a ruff sounding voice because I was pushing hard in my workouts.

Comment

Working...
                                X