Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sarah Palin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sarah Palin?

One of the things I read also is that she was runner up to Miss Alaska. I think its utterly incomprehensible that people are on her case about working with a downs child. Woman just can't win regardless of what they do.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

oooh. They ARE going after the disaffected Hillary dems. Palin just embraced HRC (metaphorically), praised her for making the 18 million cracks in the ceiling and said "it turns out women aren't done yet". You know THAT was a message to a lot of people.

Ummm...yah...I meant AK. I'm such a moron!
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

If they're being nasty about it- then that's just asinine. I had a friend who had to leave her special needs baby and go back to work FT when he was 6 weeks old- she was the only one employed as her husband was in school. People do what they need to do.

I do think it's going to be really hard on her, though. She's going to be in a really difficult position- some people will expect her to be out campaigning every day all day and all night and others are going to rip into her if she's out too long and 'ignoring' her children. The usual double standard working women face everyday but magnified times 1000.

Jenn

Comment

The only comment from the Obama camp on Salon was that she was on city council for a town of 9,000 people until 2006. That is a limited experience. I understand that PTO is serious politics; I'm embroiled in that even as we speak. Still, I'm not quailified to be president. If I became mayor of this town next year, then got on city council, then served as governor for less than two years.....I'm still not sure I'd be qualified to be president. Do I have that time line correct?
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I do have to admit, it is pretty impressive that she got to be governor after only serving on a city council in a small town. AK politics seem so foreign to me. I'll have to adapt.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

I was kind of expecting Good Ol' Kay Bailey Hutchinson from the fine state of Texas.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Jenn

Comment

She was mayor, then she ran for Lt Gov and was defeated, then she was appointed to an energy commission, then she won the '06 governor election beating two former governors.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                  I say the Obama campaign should just take the low road and attack her for the obvious celebrity influence in naming her children. Again....just kidding!
                  Her kids have weird names...Willow and Trig or something. I just thought they were odd (I mean, to each their own, I figure). Are these the names of famous people? I've never heard of them...

Comment

Oh, Alison?

I'm guessing that most towns in Alaska are small(er) towns and that 9000 is a reasonable size. ?? I think the geographic size and rural parts of the state do make it a different political game that other states. Probably true for western states in general (CA excepted). I wonder how her journey to governor differs from past governors that state. There is a Western Governor's Association. I'll have to go look at their website but I believe part of their mission is dealing with issues unique to western states.

I'm kind of kidding about the PTA experience though I would emphasize that over the basketball. I also read she was a sports reporter? Maybe that is where the bball comes in. I think it is legitimate to ask questions about her experience in relation to John McCain's age and that her VP choice would be up to her versus Biden being a known quantity to back up Obama but like Tara said, it will need to be done carefully.

I really like the name Willow.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                      I was kind of expecting Good Ol' Kay Bailey Hutchinson from the fine state of Texas.
                      She's pro-choice. Wasn't gonna happen... If he was going to go pro-choice, then just go for Lieberman or Ridge.

Comment

I'm not questioning the rise -- I'm impressed. She must be charismatic and smart to make that happen. However, her state government level experience is 20 months vs. Obama's eight years in Illinios. That's a second year resident vs. a pediatric surgery fellowship grad. Of course, McCain and Biden are the grizzled attendings.

Nancy Pelosi was a PTO mom, too.
                        Angie

Comment

Holy Cow...I'm following some of the democratic discussion and...they are a bunch of jerks...the whole focus is her as a woman and a mom.

Once again, it is all personal....she's a bad mom, a PTA member...blah, blah, blah. The ridicule makes me angry enough that I want to send Howard Dean my party registration information back personally.

Not that I will...but it's just wrong.
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                            Holy Cow...I'm following some of the democratic discussion and...they are a bunch of jerks...the whole focus is her as a woman and a mom.
                            No way...really?? I totally don't get this: what's the issue with her being a working mom? Seriously? Why would anyone judge her for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                              I'm not questioning the rise -- I'm impressed. She must be charismatic and smart to make that happen. However, her state government level experience is 20 months vs. Obama's eight years in Illinios. That's a second year resident vs. a pediatric surgery fellowship grad. Of course, McCain and Biden are the grizzled attendings.

Nancy Pelosi was a PTO mom, too.
                              I could see PTA/PTO experience being great but like you said, presidential? Good practice for hard lobbying though!

I wonder how many legislative sessions she has been through in those 20 months. I would assume two but depending on how their calendar runs, could it be only one?

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                                I'm waiting for the debate as to whether she is breast or bottle feeding. You know it's coming with that little baby.
                                You know someone is going to ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X