Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sarah Palin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sarah Palin?

Originally posted by Amiens
    ITA, I, too, am saddened by the criticism she is receiving for being a working mother. Who are we to judge? How often as medical spouses do our own parenting and other choices, or outward appearances get judged? I know we all discuss being "dawkter spouses" and the perception that comes with it. The same can be applied to being a working mother. I am not in her shoes, and I am sure she and her husband decided what was best for them and their family, as what should be with most things in life.
    Well put.

I'm still waiting to learn more about her. Her knowledge of the oil industry and insistence on integrity are of interest, but I'm skeptical of her positions with regard to the environment. Just as a person, she seems very much like a superwoman!

Comment

I am still learning about Sarah Palin, but I just had a thought.....with my 2nd and 3rd babies, I "went back to work" as soon as I got home from the hospital, taking care of the house and my other children. DH wasn't around.....you all know how that goes. Going to work at a job would have been easier than what I was doing, at the ages my kids were. So those of you who are saying you are wimps comparitively......think again.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

My take away from this newest addition is this:

If you are a conservative and you were wavering on voting for McCain, you should be feeling somewhat more relieved this morning.

If you are a liberal Obama supporter, you find the whole thing kind of a non-event- interesting but certainly nothing that will change your mind.

If you are a Hillary supporter who is more enthused about having a female in office than supporting HRC's own agenda, you will be voting for McCain/Palin. If you're a Hillary supporter and are more enthused about getting HRC's policies enacted and seeing what plays out for her in a different setting, then you'll vote Obama/Biden.

If you can't find something to like about any one of the aforementioned candidates then by all means, don't vote. But you don't get to complain about anything for the next for years.

So sayeth The Hussey.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
          My take away from this newest addition is this:

If you are a conservative and you were wavering on voting for McCain, you should be feeling somewhat more relieved this morning.

If you are a liberal Obama supporter, you find the whole thing kind of a non-event- interesting but certainly nothing that will change your mind.

If you are a Hillary supporter who is more enthused about having a female in office than supporting HRC's own agenda, you will be voting for McCain/Palin. If you're a Hillary supporter and are more enthused about getting HRC's policies enacted and seeing what plays out for her in a different setting, then you'll vote McCain/Biden.

If you can't find something to like about any one of the aforementioned candidates then by all means, don't vote. But you don't get to complain about anything for the next for years.

So sayeth The Hussey.

J.

You mean Obama/Biden

Of course, you left out one option for the disaffected Hillary supporters....just write her in. :>

I'm not sure how any supporters of HRC could vote for Palin based on her stance on the issues...She is hard core, opposite of everything HRC stands for.
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Wow! You guys gave me a lot to read!

DH told me yesterday morning. He came into the room and told me that McCain just handed Obama the election. Then he told me that it was Pallin.

So, I did some more research on her and I was kind of...disappointed.

Yeah, she's a super-mom.

But, that doesn't inherently qualify one for the Veep or presidency.

Her resume is brief to say it mildly:

- Coming in second place in a beauty pagaent.
            - Being a mayor of a tiny town after being on the city council
            - Governor for just a couple of years - and she won because she was running against some of the most corrupt former governors you could pick. She accidentally walked into that governor's office.

I'm not impressed.

DH said he thinks that McCain picked her purely for one reason: To take away the "historic vote" factor from Obama. And, I agree with him. She wouldn't even be on his radar for veep if she was a man. We expect more from our male candidates. This is the same as "affirmitive action" for women so to speak.

Nope, I won't be voting for McCain. Already didn't like him. I was hoping his veep pick would steer me towards him. He dashed those hopes.

The Libertarian party is most likely to get my vote this year.
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
              Oh - and she is breast-feeding, she made reference to sneaking off to use the breast pump.

phew! glad we can put that to rest.
              Yes, thank goodness. That was the deciding issue for me. Wasn't it for everyone?

Comment

Yeah- fixed my typo-

Not enough coffee yet.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                  Originally posted by rainbabies
                  Oh - and she is breast-feeding, she made reference to sneaking off to use the breast pump.

phew! glad we can put that to rest.
                  Yes, thank goodness. That was the deciding issue for me. Wasn't it for everyone?
                  ya'll know I was feeding into the joke w/that one, right? i may have been having a cave-man moment on the "returned to work" (although now I think the whole phrase was inappropriately used), but I could care less if she's breast feeding or not. I just add that into the insipid media coverage of her hair, pedicures, footwear, and beauty-queen titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane

ya'll know I was feeding into the joke w/that one, right? i may have been having a cave-man moment on the "returned to work" (although now I think the whole phrase was inappropriately used), but I could care less if she's breast feeding or not. I just add that into the insipid media coverage of her hair, pedicures, footwear, and beauty-queen titles.
                    I definitely thought you were joking...and so was I. I don't care if she was breast-feeding, pumping, formula-only, or whatever. SO none of my business!!

Comment

• Re: Sarah Palin?

I quickly read through the previous posts so I'm sorry if I missed this if it was already mentioned, but....is anyone else concerned that McCain and Palin had only met once before?

Comment

According to her wiki page she supported Buchanan for president - Buchanan says this as well.

She was Murkowski's first choice to be "appointed" to the governor's office - but he ultimately decided upon his daughter.

She has a nasty habit of firing anyone who has supported her political rivals in the past - she got sued for it, too. The court ruled she could fire government employees for political reasons.

With a husband in the oil industry she has a personal vested interest in promoting it (the oil industry). Her husband even works for one of the oil companies - bp. If the Democrats could destroy Cheney and Bush over oil industry connections they aren't going to have a big problem doing likewise with this person.

She initially supported the "bridge to nowhere" but backed down when it became a national disgrace.

She is being investigated on ethics charges because it is alleged she tried to have her ex-bil (a state trooper) fired when he and her sister divorced. There are also allegations of Pallin's husband intimidating the ex-bil. She did ultimately fire her ex-bil's boss. The ethics investigation is if this firing was because he didn't fire the ex-bil.

I guess this type of resume appeals to McCain (who I already thought was an unethical, nasty person). But, it seals the deal for me: I will not be voting for McCain.

Comment

I am not impressed that she was beauty queen, basketball star, etc. I am glad she is pro-life, but I am way more impressed that she is pro-kids. I kind of relate to women who genuinely like being a mom and make it a central part of their self-definition and lives. I love the fact that she made huge cuts to AK state pork, eliminated or suspended several state taxes, and return a bunch of money to the taxpayers. And she made progress on cleaning up a corrupt state government. However she got her job (by luck, being right place at the right time, whatever), sounds like she made the most of the opportunity.

Comment

She appears to me to be just another corrupt, small-time politician who got a break simply because of her gender. :huh:

I happen to know a lot of women with four or more children. It doesn't make me any more likely to vote for any of them. I'm not going to vote for someone because that person has a uterus and knows how to use it.

Comment

jenn-
                              i totally knew you were kidding about the breast vs. bottle thing. (that can be it's own thread but it shouldnt be. because it's whats best for mom and baby. )
                              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Sarah Palin says she doesn't know what a V.P. does She also covers the ex-BIL and his firing.

LINK IS A VIDEO

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kevin-gra ... 22482.html

Comment

Working...
                                X