Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sarah Palin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sarah Palin?

FWIW, I think that sex ed in school should be handled just like anti-smoking or anti-gun violence education for youthful offenders is handled by some states:

You know how they'll drag the kids down to the morgue, or subject them to a video, with graphic images of rotting, tar-filled lungs or horrible gunshot wounds, to discourage them from smoking or joining a gang?

Show'em a picture of birth. Not conception--BIRTH. Then show them the follow-up (preferably live, with all the scents and noise): baby poop, baby vomit, strech marks, and maybe a nice third-degree vaginal tear taking weeks to heal. If you've got a picture, a birth-related anal fistula would be a terrific throw-in, too. Finally, top it off with a nice graphic picture of AIDS-related open skin sores and maybe a real a postmortem brain ravaged by syphillis. Or, even better: a uterus decimated by PID or a penis covered with herpes warts.

Then tell them that, every time they are thinking of having unprotected sex, think of living with these results every day for the next eighteen (or more) years.

This will end all this abstinence-only v. hand-out-condoms-in-the-nurse's-office stuff. Both of those options are outside reality because they require WAY TOO MUCH responsibility and motivation on the part of the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
      Show'em a picture of birth. Not conception--BIRTH. Then show them the follow-up (preferably live, with all the scents and noise): baby poop, baby vomit, strech marks, and maybe a nice third-degree vaginal tear taking weeks to heal. If you've got a picture, a birth-related anal fistula would be a terrific throw-in, too. Finally, top it off with a nice graphic picture of AIDS-related open skin sores and maybe a real a postmortem brain ravaged by syphillis. Or, even better: a uterus decimated by PID or a penis covered with herpes warts.
      I've been saying for ages that they should show kids a birth. I know it would have stopped me! Heck, when I started having sex, I seriously thought that pregnancy was an awesome reprieve from having your period. I had NO IDEA that most people feel as though they've been scraped off the bottom of a shoe (thanks Julie) for the better part of 9 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
        Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
        I've been saying for ages that they should show kids a birth. I know it would have stopped me! Heck, when I started having sex, I seriously thought that pregnancy was an awesome reprieve from having your period. I had NO IDEA that most people feel as though they've been scraped off the bottom of a shoe (thanks Julie) for the better part of 9 months.
        Yeah, I got a very graphic crash course in post-sex realities--sort of like I've described above--and it STUCK with me. I never, ever, even once had unprotected sex in high school, despite having practically earned a varsity letter in the activity... And I screamed at my friends who didn't use protected, and badgered them into using something.

Comment

I should preface this with the fact that I did not grow up in the States. I grew up on a small island that was very conservative and when to a private religious school. We were taught everything. Where babies come from, how to prevent it and that the most effective way was not to have sex. This curriculum did not manage offend the very religious and conservative parents - of which there were many - and it provided accurate information to students. I have lived in the States for 8 years now, have studied politics and religion as an undergrad and in law school here and it will never fail to surprise me the role that such personal matters have in a country has incredible international and domestic concerns. I really don't think it is the role of the politicians to decide what any one does with their body. Roe v Wade has been passed. I have been lucky to have never been in that position and as someone mentioned earlier, it shouldn't be a birth control method. But women have been seeking abortions for centuries. We are lucky to have the technology and resources to make them as safe as possible, why not continue to control that and provide the option to those who need it. There are so many important issues to worry about whatever side of the aisle you are on, the economy, the war, our relationship with Europe, Russia, China. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine
            How would you like to be this poor kid? One day you're just "Levi", a few days later your MySpace page has been removed and you're meeting the Republican presidential candidate because you got his running mate kid's pregnant. While it looks like someone is wiping something off of the back of your shirt.
            No kidding. Fact is stranger than fiction.

Comment

I don't think "the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull is lipstick" was on the script!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

luv her..

talking about Obama "this is a guy who wrote 2 memoirs...but no major legislation"... haha....

"never talks of victory...only when campaigning"...

the mayorship..."like being a community organizer, but with actual responsibilities"...
                Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine
                  I don't think "the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull is lipstick" was on the script!

So hockey moms are bitches w/lipstick??? :huh: sorry but that line didn't impress me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker
                    luv her..

"never talks of victory...only when campaigning"...
                    Sarah Palin's Speech Powerful if True
                    POSTED BY: Michael Kraskin
                    Huckabee, Giuliani and now Palin are giving truly stirring speeches tonight. Frankly, I think they all knocked it out of the park assuming no one bother's to fact check them. Keith Olbermann already had a bit to say about Huckabee, so we thought we'd get into the game too.

From Sarah Palin's speech:

This [Obama] is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting, and never use the word "victory" except when he's talking about his own campaign.

That one didn't seem like much of a challenge. From Obama's July 15th Speech on Iraq:

In fact, true success in Iraq -- victory in Iraq -- will not take place in a surrender ceremony where an enemy lays down their arms.

And later in the same speech:

I want Iraqis to take responsibility for their own future, and to reach the political accommodation necessary for long-term stability. That's victory.

I guess Palin can't use Google any better than McCain can.

Comment

Regarding The speech...

Originally posted by Jane
                      Frankly, I think they all knocked it out of the park assuming no one bother's to fact check them.
                      Thankyouverymuch. I lost track of the untruths told about "the opponent" early in The speech.

I'm glad that Bristol got a break from holding Trig last night. I was beginning to wonder if she was on payroll as the nanny.

Comment

Why bother fact-checking when the far left doesn't? Wasn't the last conspiracy theory that Sarah didn't give birth to Trig, and she is just covering up for one of her daughters?

The far left attacks have been very amusing. Obviously they feel threatened.
                        Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                          I wasn't surprised that she was able to deliver a speech well. She's a former pageant queen so she's had her share of public speaking and doing it in a manner that people find appealing.
                          She used to be a newsbroadcaster...so maybe that's what got her through when the TelePrompter went screwball on her last night. You couldn't even tell...(at least, I couldn't).

Comment

Why bother fact-checking when the far left doesn't? Wasn't the last conspiracy theory that Sarah didn't give birth to Trig, and she is just covering up for one of her daughters?

The far left attacks have been very amusing. Obviously they feel threatened.
                            Um...has an actual democratic politician said anything about Trig's parentage, like, ever? We're talking about fact-checking *speeches*, dear, not blog rumors.
                            Sandy
                            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Wasn't the last conspiracy theory that Sarah didn't give birth to Trig, and she is just covering up for one of her daughters?.
                              Uh, b/c your vice presidential nominee is standing on a national stage delivering them? NONE of those attacks came from ANYONE actually associated with the Obama campaign, and Obama said they were nonsense!!! Whack jobs on the internet are just whack jobs on the internet -- but the people actually running for office should be accountable for what they say!

Comment

Working...
                              X