Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ebola coming to the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/...lation-article

And the group has been sighted around town going to get take out. Sigh.

I don't worry about it or DH getting it. I worry about flu and pertussis more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

• Poor woman. I know where she lived. We used to go to a cupcake place next door--our first place was a few blocks away.

I will say that Presby probably is a little screwed in the short term now :/ And the fact that DH didn't get the internship there is feeling nicer and nicer. Wonder if that will hurt their recruiting this year?
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• Awe. She's so young 😔Nina Pham Confirmed As First Person To Contract Ebola In U.S.
        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5977670.html

Comment

• Reminds me of my sister :/
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• Me too. Mine just turned 25. Ugh. Makes me sick.

Comment

• And now another one....

Comment

• The hospital is in for a lot of scrutiny...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/14/health...-union-claims/

Comment

• Second patient took a flight from Cleveland? Perfect. Wonderful.

Comment

• Wow that is really awful.

Comment

• Since she checked in with a low grade fever, she was probably minimally contagious, if at all while flying. It's a "caregivers disease" bc of the viral load when symptoms get BAD. I won't go into the virology of why this is, but Ebola is not nearly as contagious as Measles, not even in the same class. Have hope. I'm glad they're contacting other passengers though, it's always better to be safe than sorry.
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                        Since she checked in with a low grade fever, she was probably minimally contagious, if at all while flying. It's a "caregivers disease" bc of the viral load when symptoms get BAD. I won't go into the virology of why this is, but Ebola is not nearly as contagious as Measles, not even in the same class. Have hope. I'm glad they're contacting other passengers though, it's always better to be safe than sorry.
                        I agree that it probably isn't an issue. That said, if be pissed right now if I was on that flight. There were only what - like 78 people on the "watch list?" I think they should have asked them not to fly.

I do, however, get pissed when anyone who is clearly sick is on my flight. I have serious issues with germs while flying. So this might just be a personal problem...

Comment

• I don't know - I get how it's frustrating. I think most, if not all, of us understand how in the grand scheme of things there are much more "regular" viruses that are much easier to get. Then again - watching this whole Ebola thing go down which is unprecedented for the US is sort of unsettling. I understand how it angers people to know this new patient was treating Duncan and then went on a flight. I guess depending on who you are, it reinforces the idea that I know personally bugs me often - that it's possible these people are conducting themselves carelessly and with no regard for the "greater good" of larger public health (akin to the anti-vaxxers, IMO). It's annoying to see. I don't know this specific person's story but you do sort of think - wait - you just spent eight days treating an Ebola patient with your own two hands and you still flew somewhere? I dunno...if it were me I think I'd probably lay low for the benefit of myself and those around me. I'd be too scared to do much of anything until I knew I was in the clear.
                          Last edited by WolfpackWife; 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM.
                          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Ebola coming to the US

I just want to share a few other nuggets to you all to give a little hope (info that fear-mongering news media are minimally covering).
                            - The Canadian ebvd vaccine started human trials and has had excellent primate results
                            - China has a vaccine (only tested in mice) that they are fast tracking to humans
                            - Russia has indicated they've got 2-3 vax/treatments that can be scaled up in the next two months.

It's a very bad epidemic and the US is not prepared for it, but it's coming regardless. If we get a vaccine, it'll be easier to get volunteers on the ground as well as stop this epidemic.
                            Last edited by scrub-jay; 10-15-2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Oh- looks like Emory is taking the second Healthcare worker.

Comment

• I have concerns mostly because there is so much fear out there. It reminds me of the HIV/Aids fears way back when. DH has been in hospital meetings and they have been doing news conferences to calm fears. Still, you have residents saying things like they are not going to treat ebola patients. These were a couple but that attitude is what scares me. No, they are not going to be taking care of patients because the goal is to reduce the number of people being exposed IF we had such a patient. However, I have to agree with the attendings when they responded that you may not want to stay in medicine if that is going to be the attitude. IF we had an Ebola patient, DH has a pretty good chance to be involved since he is one of the two full time docs in the division. IF he did, I would be proud of him...proud because he is well trained and making a difference is why he (and I) have put up with this crapfest called med training/life.

Yes, I know not all physicians go into medicine for this reason (DH's cousin is one).
                                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
                                X