Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Public Rant/vent thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH got called into the hospital as soon as we say down at Cracker Barrel so we got it to go. All I wanted was a damn Coke cake, and she forgot to put it in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Made a great dinner AND dessert, gussied myself up and did my makeup, even put on something slinky and chilled a bottle of wine and, you guessed it, who knows when he'll be home.

Now I'm sitting on the couch drinking straight from the bottle in my yoga pants.

Woot, dawkter's wife!
      wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

• Word. I hate it when people exploit a celebrity death to call attention to themselves.

I feel like when a celerity dies, social media turns into a contest of "who posted about it first" and "who was his/her biggest fan". Or "omg I was just thinking about x last night and then he died! The universe is cray cray!" It's kind of sick.
        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

• I actually find Robin Williams death incredibly shocking. I haven't posted anything about it on social media simply because I'm almost never on FB. I think people generally speaking feel shocked about his suicide. He was a remarkable actor with a larger than life personality. It is a stunning loss. People are reaching back into their favorite film that he was in to find small points of connection. I don't find it weird or annoying.

Frankly, the first thing I did when I read about it (on FB) was come here and post about it ... I was looking almost for group recognition of the loss. I didn't post anything poignant about my own struggles with depression because that isn't where I was in the moment. I just needed to share a grief-filled moment with others. I did, however, send a thank you email to the doctor who helped me overcome several terrible bouts of depression.

Don't be so hard on your fellow man.

Kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

• Edited: Never mind. No use in sharing this.
            Last edited by WolfpackWife; 08-12-2014, 08:54 AM.
            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• I see what you mean. Sounds melodramatic.
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

• Holy shit! People actually posted that? That comes out as attention mongering.

But, I AM saddened by his senseless death. Not to tears, because I didn't know him personally, but the senselessness of suicide rips a hole in the lives of those left behind.

If it had been after a long illness like Patrick Swayze, the outpouring would be different.
                Kris

Comment

• Also I am 99% sure that everyone who has posted a simpering, "O Captain! My Captain!" post doesn't know the topic of that poem written by Walt Whitman. And I find that annoying.
                  Haha, I actually do, thanks to the most useless Freshman college course ever.

But anyway, it is really sad. Recently I was thinking how awesome of a "mature" actor he would have made as he aged.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                    I don't mean the sharing of sadness and shock, I mean the, "This is the worst day of my life" and "I'm utterly shattered" and "I can't stop sobbing" posts. Those aren't about Robin Williams. Those are just off-putting and attention trolling. But to be sad that he struggled and died, I think that is normal and perfectly appropriate. It's the overly dramatic posts that just rub me wrong.
                    I agree. Though I was frankly more annoyed by the outpouring of DAYS of posts about Steve Jobs. He was admittedly brilliant but he could also be mercurial and ruthless. I guess I just think freaking out over 1 persons death who you didn't know is a little sad considering the thousands of children dying right now in Gaza, Syria, DRC, etc. I'm sad for what Robin Williams represents - a lack of appreciation for the profound effects and stigma of mental illness - but people saying "it's the worst day of my life" is just attention whoring.
                    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

• I like this post from Mike Rowe:

[QUOTE]https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMike...286326/?type=1

Hi Shannon

I wish I could tell you we were pals. That we hung out from time to time, or played poker every other Thursday. Unfortunately, I didn’t know the man. Like most people in The Bay Area, my contact with Robin was limited to a few random and minor encounters. However, those encounters made an impression.

The first was in 2006 - June or maybe July. I walked into The Roastery down on Chestnut, ordered a coffee, and sat down to read the paper. I soon discovered I was in one of those chairs with one leg shorter than the rest, and resolved to remedy the problem by jamming a folded-up coaster under the offending limb. I bent down, got the thing positioned properly, and managed to smack my head on the edge of the table on the way back up. Hard. The impact was noisy, and sent coffee slushing all over The Chronicle, which in turn lead to an “Ahh...sh!t!,” a little louder than I intended. A second later, a voice said, “No, I believe that’s coffee. Sh!t’s the stuff I see you crawling through every time I turn on the TV.”

I didn’t recognize the voice, but when I looked up, there was no mistaking the face. It belonged to Garp, Mork, Mrs. Doubtfire, and so many others. He was just standing there, smiling, waiting for me to say something pithy. I imagined him thinking, “Your move, chief.” But I had nothing. All I could think was “Holy crap - Robin Williams knows who I am!” Eventually, it got awkward, so he said, “Love the show, man,” and walked out.

There was another time a few years later at something called The “X” Prize. This was a very swanky affair at The Lucas Digital Arts Studio in May of 2010. How I got invited is a bit of a mystery, but I was, and I went. I saw Robin on the Red Carpet, chatting with some reporters. I caught his eye and nodded. He nodded back and told me I cleaned up pretty good. I told him he looked very pretty. He chuckled and moved on.

That's it, I'm afraid.

It’s a curious thing isn't it, to miss someone you didn't really know? Maybe it has something to do with their entrance? In show biz, and life, a big entrance can leave a big impression, and Robin made a very big one. He crashed into our lives 36 years ago, and took up a kind of residence. Now that he's left, maybe we miss more than the person? Maybe we miss the version of ourselves that was on hand during that first meeting. Does that make sense?

When I first saw Mork and Mindy, I was sixteen years old, and badly smitten with a girl named Heather. We watched the first episode together in her parents basement, and laughed like lunatics. Then we made out. When I heard about Robin yesterday, my first feeling was shock. Then, a kind of sadness, too shallow to call grief, but to too real to ignore. It wasn't till later that I found myself wondering about Heather for the first time in years, and recalling my sixteen-year old self with a weird mix of nostalgia and melancholy.

Some people enter our lives and become benchmarks in ways we don't realize. Then they exit, and we struggle. Sometimes, those people are high-school buddies, and sometimes, they're strangers who somehow felt like friends. Either way, it sucks when they go.

Mike
                      [\QUOTE]
                      Last edited by Pollyanna; 08-12-2014, 03:57 PM.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

• I like Mike Rowe
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• I haven't actually seen many attention-seeking posts on my personal FB, but I saw a couple tweets by other celebrities that were along these lines and really annoying (Miley Cyrus' tweet about how she just 'can't stop sobbing' comes to mind. Was she even alive for most of his well-known work?! Does she actually know who he is?).

I was trying to figure out what it is about Robin Williams' death that has caused such an emotional response in everyone, myself included. The best thing I could come up with is that it is such a tragic irony. He built a career on making people laugh, which we associate with happiness. Any time I saw him in pictures/video/interviews, he had a huge smile and seemed so warm and inviting. To try to rectify that "happy" image he portrayed with the deep despair he must have felt is hard. He worked so hard to bring happiness to others, but had a hard time finding it himself. It just doesn't feel right.

I would love to see this event open up discussion about depression in our society. I was just on FB and saw some links to some pretty ignorant comments on depression and suicide by some public figures and no-name bloggers that really made me mad. But, I suppose that's where discussion on the topic starts.

P.S. I do NOT follow Miley Cyrus on Twitter. Just have to clarify that. That would be a horrid waste of brain cells.
                          PA and wife of a PGY2 in neurosurgery. And "cat-mom" to the two sweetest cats anyone could hope for.

Comment

• Public Rant/vent thread

Dear you, I am not your secretary. The past few weeks, I've been moving coordinator, housing coordinator, dog trainer, housekeeper, and more. I am not sure why you expect me to get things done perfectly and why when something goes wrong, the first thing you do is blame me as I'm the sole cause of the problem. Before you start blaming, you need to stop, assess the situation, and find the best possible solution. You're in medicine; you should know how to do this by now.

Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

• Originally posted by argie View Post
                              Dear you, I am not your secretary. The past few weeks, I've been moving coordinator, housing coordinator, dog trainer, housekeeper, and more. I am not sure why you expect me to get things done perfectly and why when something goes wrong, the first thing you do is blame me as I'm the sole cause of the problem. Before you start blaming, you need to stop, assess the situation, and find the best possible solution. You're in medicine; you should know how to do this by now.

Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
                              Just remember our unofficial motto:

"Medicine is not a pass to be an ass."

We really need to get coffee mugs and t-shirts with that shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                                We really need to get coffee mugs and t-shirts with that shit.
                                This. IMSN fundraiser!
                                sigpic
                                buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

Working...
                                X